Monday, October 18, 2010

Assigning Blame

My post today is more theological in nature. Even though I've been a Christian since five years old, there are many things I haven't figured out. In many ways I feel like I'm starting over in my faith since I've left the overly legalistic churches/college I used to be in. I used to blindly accept the standards and beliefs of others, but it is a lot more work to decide for yourself why you believe something. And that is where I'm at in my faith now.

One thing that has always bothered me is how much power Christians attribute to the devil. If a car breaks down it's the "devil's attack"; if one feels depressed coming down from a high of a church retreat that's an attack too. Or even if one loses a job, gets ill, and loses a loved one that's the devil's fault too. Christians love to quote that "he walketh about as a roaring lion seeking whom to devour" (1. Peter 5:8) as proof for their undesirable circumstances. But the Bible states "resist...and he shall flee from you" (James 4:7). If it's that easy...why do we blame him for pretty much everything bad that happens? Sure the devil doesn't like it when Christians assemble to worship or evangelize, but God does--and isn't He more powerful and didn't he already defeat Satan at the cross? Doesn't God decide what Satan can or can't do to his children (i.e. Job 1:12)? And we already know that in the end of all this, Satan gets thrown to the lake of fire (Rev. 20:10).

And even if all this were true, how can Satan be everywhere attacking Christians all at once? Only God is omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent. That is, all-knowing, ever-present and all powerful. Satan is a fallen angel and the Bible indicates that angels do not know everything (1 Peter 1:11-12). I'm not one to dismiss the reality of Satan and his legions, but I am really wary of giving him too much credit for things. Isn't it enough to ask God for help to live the trials of life in a Christ honoring way instead of devoting much energy to "binding and losing"? From my perspective this much attention/focus on the devil, comes borderline close to devil worship. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't want to risk being on that side.

This also seems to set up a situation for Christians to have a life filled with anxiety and fear. If we never know when the next attack might come, and if we have to be alert at all times, how can we ever rest? God has not given us the spirit of fear. He also said "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."(John 16:33).

And in addition, don't most of our troubles exist because we live in a fallen (post Eden) world (see Ecclesiastes). There is a scientific law that everything will eventually atrophy or die. Cars break, people die, depression happens, jobs are lost, etc. The point being we're not in paradise and won't be until we get to heaven or until the Lord returns. Secondly, much of our troubles are a result of man's fallen nature. We are stupid people and do stupid things. Jesus describes us as "sheep that have gone astray. Each one to his own way.(Is. 53:6)". We eat unhealthy food, stay up late and then get sick. We procrastinate getting the car battery checked and it breaks down. We believe the myth that Christians are supposed to be happy 24/7 (happiness is not equivalent to joy) and when discouragement comes, we conclude the devil is responsible.

However, Job himself grieved--he tore his mantle, fell on the ground--at the loss of his family and his life. Satan was NOT testing his happiness level (reminds me when folks say "don't let Satan steal your joy!"). Job got angry at God; he had questions that still aren't answered. However, he still "worshiped" which is simply admitting that God is in control of all things and that God always is what he says.

It seems Satan's role is to tempt Christians to sin; not heap trouble on us that is really the result of a fallen world or our undisciplined actions. God will test our faith by giving us trials. Satan however tempts us to do evil. The first chapter of James clearly explains this. To summarize, I guess I just wish we weren't so quick to blame the devil in our statements and called a square a square. I am not attempting to judge anyone for their believes, but I would like to explore the Biblical perspective of this. I've heard it said we either give Satan too much credit or too little. What then is his role? Thoughts?

No comments: