Saturday, November 15, 2008

Adulthood

Why is being an adult so disappointing? We spend our whole childhood looking forward to this mysterious stage in life where we can do what we want and go wherever we wish. Only we find out it doesn't exactly work that way. A lot of people still act like they did in high school-immature and self-centered.

Speaking for myself, I feel so stuck most days. All I ever do is work, sleep, and eat and I can't help but wonder if I left my best years behind me. In high school I was a leader of a community service club, a newsletter editor, a choir member, a team leader for my youth group, and a winner of several oratorical competitions which I really miss doing. My senior year I capped my high school career by placing 4th in the nation. Upon returning home the mayor asked me to be the guest speaker for the city's flag day ceremony. Those days were exciting. I felt like I was contributing and working towards great things.

Now? I'm just another adult in this great country that drives to and from work every day, fixes dinner, tries to stay awake to do homework, and goes to bed. Then repeats the same routine everyday for who knows how long. I want to do those big things I used to do. As a friend of mine said, "...it seems like adult life squelches the dreams of one's youth, but hopefully they can be rekindled".

No comments: