Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Where are the Champions?

Recently Jerry Falwell Jr. sent a mass email to staff, faculty and students over the fact that students on campus were making derogatory remarks to those who supported the left-wing party for this year's election. Before I go any further, I want to make clear that I voted for neither party this year--so I don't have anything to gain by dissing one or supporting another.

However, what bothers me the most is not what Jerry requested us to do--to be respectful to both sides--I agree with that sentiment. What bothers me is what he didn't say. That just because we need to be respectful doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't stand up for our beliefs. Now it's hard to be quiet when you overhear a Liberty (?!) student say "I don't care how many more abortions we have. We made history today and I get to tell my grand kids about it!". It is all I can do to not say "Yeah you will--if those grand babies aren't killed first." In fact it may have been one those times to be "disrespectful". Do you not see the irony in that?

I doubt Falwell Sr. would have responded in the same way. He was know for standing his ground time after time even when the media and the world mocked him. The University is rapidly changing-amusements like indoor soccer fields and ski slopes are being built, we even now have a Democrats club, and enrollment keeps soaring since almost all students that apply become accepted. However, with all this growth and change, I still remember a verse from Proverbs: "Remove not the ancient landmark, which thy fathers have set" (22:28). Change is not always a bad thing. I do ask that Liberty doesn't change so much that we lose sight of all the things we once stood for.

What did the university stand for? If I recalled correctly, it was Christ-centered men and women who were principled and had a strong work ethic. In the light of this election I haven't seen much of those things. Jerry's vision was that we would make a difference in the world and be "champions for Christ". The Bible says where there is no vision, the people perish. This vision though begins here on campus--in the small town of Lynchburg. If we cannot make a difference with the people God puts on our path every day, what hope do we have with the lost and unsaved world? Let us not lose our vision, lest we perish.

No comments: