Saturday, November 1, 2008

My Life Philosophy

There are worse things.

This is one of my favorite sayings. Unfortunately, I didn't invent it. My brother has reminded me of it frequently until it was permanently lodged in my bitty brain. I believe it (though I don't always feel it) to be completely true. Why? Is it even Biblical? And to that I say, yes. Yes, because nothing...absolutely nothing can compare to what Christ went through in his life and ultimately on the cross. The worst thing that can ever happen, did happen to Him.

We feel the pang of loneliness; God turned his back on him.

People wound us with their words; A spear was thrust in His side.

We struggle with forgetting the past; He knew all--past, present and future--imagine the weight and agony of that knowledge!

Tears threaten our masked faces; He had sweat-drops of blood.

Desire for revenge stirs in us; He whispered "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do".

At Calvary by M.H.

Calvary covers it all,
We cheerfully and loudly sing.
But, lest we ever forget...
What happened in Gethsemane,

Let's walk along the way of sorrows,
Among the blood spilled ground.
Can you see the hands--our hands--
that thrust the thorns in His brow?
Can you hear the cries of Mary
as she falls, weeping, on the ground?
Can you feel the whips,
that tore through his skin?
Can watch Him rise,
only to fall once again?
Can you hear the screams of Jesus,
as His beard was ripped from His face?
Can you realize it was MY sin...
that brought Him this disgrace.

But as the old hymn whispers:
My sin! Oh the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part, but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross,
And I bear it no more...
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord!
Oh, my soul!


Indeed, there are worse things. What a mighty God--who can turn the worst thing into something wonderful for all mankind!

No comments: