Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Nostalgia


Today I really had this desire to take ballet again. I danced for five years, starting when I was nine and stopping around 14 years of age. Since then I miss leaping on the spring wooded floors, doing plies until my muscles screamed for deliverance, and dancing my heart out. I keep thinking I'm too old to go back and dance again (I turn 22 next month), but I did my research and a ballet school in town has classes for 18+ year old. Wootah! The only thing that's keeping me back is that tuition is *gulp* so expensive. Plus the leotards, shoes, and other stuff that I would need to buy. Maybe after I get my first car I'll start saving up for private lessons. Who knows, I might dance again this summer! I would love to go back, though I'm sure it would be different from what I remember. A second reality that I have to consider is a lack of time. I work 30 hours a week, and go to school full time. At this point, I'm so tired by the end of the day that I'd doubt I'd have the energy to do 500+ frappes on the floor.

But basically I just want to perform again. There is nothing more thrilling for me then being on stage whether its a speech competition, play, sign-language choir, or a ballet performance. I love to perform and seeing people enjoy it. What I don't like is watching a performance; I'd rather be involved and participating in it. At the church I go to now there is a sign-language choir that was recently started and I'll probably join next week. Just take baby steps and all that jazz.

Another random thought I had was that I need to read Jane Eyre. Don't ask me why I should, but I've never read it and almost everyone I know has. Besides it's a classic apparently. This summer I just want to skip school for a few months and do nuttin ('sides working) but read. I miss that so much--reading. I only read for school now and that has kinda turned me off to reading. Because now it feels like work when I pick up a book and I want to change that. For some reason, I'm really in an ambitious mode this week. Who knows how long that will last for?

1 comment:

Aimee Mayer said...

I'd like to take ballet sometime... I did for one year, but I was head and shoulders over the other kids. I still would like to learn Irish Stepdancing and such, but we'll see.