Monday, April 7, 2008

Encouraging others...


Well my friend tells me I needa update my blog or more accurately nags me to do so ;) So I will try to be more faithful to update this from here on out. I remember my first and favorite youth pastor once started our Sunday School by looking at each of us with tear-filled eyes and saying, "There are people, hurting, outside these walls." I'd think it be even more accurate to say that the churches shelter hurting people too, probably more so because it's harder to be open about it. We seem to have this idea that our Christianity needs to be an artificial, Pollyanna, slap-happy, "ain't nuttin wrong with me" type of faith.

I finally got around to reading my school newspaper from April 1st. Front page headline was a student that died a few weeks back. Students reminisced about his kindness, how he went the extra mile, and his willingness to serve. But, and this is the part that haunts me, did he know that? Did he know how much of an impact his life had? I suspect his death was a suicide though the paper doesn't say. But if it was, why did he? Could it be he felt he wasn't making a difference, that his life didn't matter?

Life is hard. I learn that more and more each day. Many of my friends are going through heartaches and crisis and I am challenged to reconsider and think "what is my role in these situations"? I believe it is to encourage others. Since I tend to be self-centered and overly anxious, I often fall short of that. Philippians tells me to "let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others". I really, really, want to be like that and I can only hope the Lord will help me do so.

What a Friend We Have in Jesus


What a friend we have in Jesus,
all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear,
all because we do not carry
everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged;
take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful
who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;
take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden,
cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge;
take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In his arms he'll take and shield thee;
thou wilt find a solace there.

No comments: