Sunday, December 14, 2008

Tradition!


I love Fiddler on the Roof! One of my favorite things about the film I think is how the Jewish culture is so grounded in their traditions. Speaking of which, have you ever noticed how family oriented the holidays tend to be? Sometimes it makes hard I think, because I'm at an age where I can't participate in many traditions my family had growing up. We would always put up the tree, for example, the day after Thanksgiving. For the past 4 years I have been unable to do so. Heck, I haven't even been home for Thanksgiving in the past four years. Yet, I'm grateful that my boss is letting me go so long for Christmas considering the little amount of seniority I have.

Though I have been thinking maybe it is time to start my own traditions, but I have no idea what. I want to enjoy the life that I have and maybe this is one way to do so.

1 comment:

Douglas Schrock said...

It really is amazing how the Jewish people have preserved their traditions. They are an amazing group of people. Don't worry, you'll think of something. Maybe you can light a menorah in honor of Hanukkah or something... That might be a nice addition to your own Christian Christmas traditions. It's all part of our own religious heritage in one sense or another. The Hebrew Old Testament is our Old Testament. All right, glad you can see your family; you deserve it.