Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Weekend Trip

The problem with going away is simply that you have to return.

The past weekend I had another chance to pack my overnight bag and take a second road trip this month. I felt so refreshed. The house my friend and I stayed at was beautiful and serene. In the morning, I sat outside on a porch deck, felt the wind rustle my hair, watched the birds gather their food, read my Bible, and prayed as I never had before. And I knew somehow things would be alright. For if the little birds had enough to eat--without worrying about their next meal--then I too will be cared for.

Traveling back home, I longed for the days when I went to camp in the summer. When life seemed so easy, so black and white. The days when my friends and I rallied for a similar cause--the cause of Christ and resolved to never waver from Him. We'd sing at the top of our lungs the camp theme song: We will press onward / for Christ is still the same / what He was in ages past / is what He will remain / and forevermore, that is what He will be / for time and eternity...and mean it with our whole hearts. Before every meal, we'd recite the theme verse: Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. And at night we'd sit under the stars, sing, and draw closer to God without the distractions of the world.

How I need the strength to press onward. To not let the ebb and flow of emotions determine my course of action. To do right...no matter what it may cost me. I know what is true and right, just for some reason it becomes more vivid and bolder when I get away from the known and familiar. Probably because I then can listen the small voice tugging away at my heart.

The problem with going away is simply that you have to return. However, I'm back in the 'burg with a new resolve to let Him use me however He deems fit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a very good way to see things! That is the problem with going away...I like your post. So poetic and real!

Anonymous said...

another month later...... :P