Sunday, June 8, 2008

Road Trip!
















Friday night I left to help a girl from church finish moving from Connecticut to here in Virginia. I love taking road trips and hadn't been on one in years, so when she asked me to accompany her I jumped at the chance.

Traveling to me is very inspiring and makes me want to accomplish all the things that I dream of doing. My favorite parts is getting to see downtown in each city we drive through. They are all similar in that they have tall buildings, but each has its own character and style--and I enjoy passing through each one.

We went through Northern VA, Maryland--near D.C, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, and then finally Connecticut. Minus the 100 degree heat and the tempers that flared now and then over which way to turn, the whole thing was a great adventure. I got to pass through the Holland tunnel that connected Jersey City to NYC. I saw the wharf of NYC and smelt the moist air. For the first time I experienced the no self-service allowed gas stations in NJ--that I only heard about. Traveling back, I saw heat lightning in the east while the sun was setting in the west.

I saw the campus of Yale University--one of the most prestigious schools in America. It was beautiful with tall cathedral type buildings, and brick walkways lined with trees. I experienced the brash, rude, driving skills of new yorkers which confirmed my general dislike for them. I felt the rush of the big harried city of New York, and the calmness of the little towns that people drive through so quickly due to their size.

Also I drove more then I ever have at one time--for about 4 hours on Friday night and 3 hours Saturday night. I passed by countless truckers, farmers in pickup trucks, fancy SUVs, little coupes, and miles of endless terrain. The last hour I drove the faint vibration of the engine was starting to lure me to sleep--despite the cold air blasting through my window. I flashed my headlights to the moving van in front of me and pulled over to change drivers. After I moved to the backseat I fell asleep not long after.

I believe all experiences are opportunities to learn, and what I learned from this past weekend of traveling is to take chances, live live to the fullest and have no regrets.

No comments: